« Home | Hardwood flooring Industry causes issues for Palle... » | Vote for Dawnsedge! » | Soliciting Donations » | Recycle success » | Where do you draw the line with horseplay in the w... » | Wining employees » | I don't get it--gas is going down and diesel up? » | Pallets are everywhere » 

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 

How did you get into this kind of business?

I hear that all the time. I am a 36 year old woman who has been working in what I call a man's industry now for about 7 years. I reflect back to my childhood when I was chasing after my father and uncle at the car lot. My father worked for Delco Remy but also had a small car lot on the side. If given a choice to clean my room or go to the junk Yard with my father...I chose my father. It didn't matter what was going on in the garage I had my nose into it. I was learning about wet sanding and bondo when I was in elementary. I had by turn at playing "mechanics nurse" Wrench, socket, oil filter....go get me...etc. My Dad and my uncle were great about letting me get into the midst of whatever was going on under the hood or under the car. It is no wonder that I apply that to my everyday life. Forktruck trouble now? I have my hands into it. (now I wear those nice little latex gloves to keep the grease from getting under my nails) I am still pretty good at diagnosing problems with vehicles. I remember many a Saturday nights at a car action with my dad. We had a mission. My job was to check out the details, find the flaws and bring it to dad's attention. If we purchased the car then we would immediately take it for a ride. (you only have so long to take it before arbitration if a big problem exists) Same routine, turn off the radio and check her out. My dad is great at diagnosing and he taught me almost everything I know. (I have learned a lot along the way myself by paying attention...But he taught me that also) He will be the first to tell you that detecting it doesn't mean you know how to fix it. I went a little further with the fixing part though. (I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it like dad did) My first real paying job was with my dad. He taught me how to detail the cars. Let's just say I had a lot of practice finding the diamonds in the rough. He still says today that I was the best detailer. (I think he's a little bias) Anyway that is the story behind why I think I was destined to be involved in a man's industry.
After marriage I worked in several offices gaining a lot of clerical knowledge. I then worked at a pharmaceutical company for about 6 years. During that time I was trained and had great mentors who went out of their way to help me develop. I worked in Sales, Marketing, Research and Development, and Finance. Pretty well rounded huh? I then went to work for a defense attorney for about 6 years. Then, this opportunity came along. The wife of my current mentor was the transcriptionist for the attorney I worked for. They shared with me this opportunity. I came to the pallet industry as a Manager. I had a whole two weeks training at the other facility. "The best training is hands on" Is the water warm cuz I'm jumpin in. This business has been up and down, good and bad. It is cold in the winter and hot in the summer and dusty all year round, but it is now mine. Every day presents a different challenge and a different achievement. I cannot imagine myself doing anything other than what I am doing now. I love hands on! I believe my whole life has been preparation for what I am doing now, and I am sure this is preparation for what is to come! So that's the story, time to go make some pallets!

Time sure does fly doesn't it?

I'm SO Proud of you! You have far more courage than I have EVER had to go out into the world and do.

I just can't believe we're all grown up now :( *sighs*

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Kim
  • From Central Indiana, United States
My profile

New Castle Pallet Co.

Free Business Cards.

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates